Southwest Soup Mix
# 421 - $9.95
St. Jude Product of the Month for January
Quick Bite with Southwest Soup:
Tortilla Soup: Add 4 corn tortillas torn into pieces to the basic Southwest Soup. Simmer 10 minutes more, top soup with grated cheese.
Chicken Southwest Soup: Use 1 pound ground chicken or diced chicken breast (or thighs) instead of ground beef and prepare the soup as directed. Just as delicious!
Chicken and Cheese Soup
1 package Southwest Soup Mix
4 cups chicken broth
1 can diced tomatoes with green chilis (12 oz.)
1 ½ lb. boneless skinless chicken breast or thighs
2 cups milk
8 oz. grated Cheddar or Mexican Cheese
Put first four ingredients in large saucepan, stir, cover and cook on low for 30 minutes.
Shred chicken and return to pot.
Add milk and cheese. Stir and simmer until cheese melts.
Serve hot soup in bowls topped with sour cream and crumbled corn chips.
King Ranch Chicken Bonus meal using “leftover” Chicken and Cheese Soup
3 ½ cups prepared Chicken and Cheese Soup
8 oz. grated Mexican or Cheddar Cheese
Butter a 9x9 inch baking dish
Put layer of tortillas in dish, then soup mixture, then cheese.
Repeat layering ending with cheese.
NOTE: The dish will hold at this point for several days or can be frozen.
When ready to serve, bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes until bubbly and puffed.
1 package Southwest Soup Mix
1 pound of ground beef
3 cups of beef broth
1 can (12 oz) of tomato sauce
8 ounce package of elbow macaroni or shells
Southwestern Tortilla Soup
1 package Southwest Soup
2 - 16 oz. cans of chicken broth
1 16 oz. can of tomato sauce
1 2/3 cups water
1 lb. of ground beef or ground turkey (optional)
4 corn tortillas torn into pieces
- Make the Southwest Soup according to directions.
- If you are adding the ground meat, then brown the meat in your pan before you start to add the ingredients for the soup.
- After the soup has simmered for about 30 minutes, add the torn pieces of corn tortillas and simmer an additional 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese if you choose. "Bonus" soup keeps well refrigerated and freezes perfectly!
- Serve the Tortilla Soup on one day and the next few days serve our Easy Enchiladas, using the "Bonus" soup! Taste of Gourmet makes life easy!
"Bonus" Southwest Soup (it used to be called "leftovers")
Frozen burritos - any flavor
Grated Cheddar Cheese
- Do this at the last minute or put it together a day ahead to pop in the oven when you get home from tennis!
- Put a cup of "Bonus" Southwest Soup in lightly buttered baking dish.
- Place the burritos (frozen or thawed) in the pan and cover them with additional soup.
- Sprinkle with cheese, cover and put in the oven to bake.
- Cook Thawed Burritos - about 20 minutes
- Or cook from Frozen Burritos - about 40 minutes.
Tortilla Turkey Soup
Leftover (Bonus) Turkey - sliced or bits
1 package of Southwest Soup
6 cups of chicken broth
1 large can of tomato sauce
Fresh corn tortillas cut into strips
1 avocado, sliced (optional)
Shredded Cheddar cheese to garnish
- Prepare Southwest Soup according to directions, without meat.
- When the soup has simmered, add the strips of tortillas and stir gently.
- When ready to serve, pour up the soup into bowls.
- Top each serving with the pieces of turkey, a slice of avocado and sprinkle with cheese!
- Perfect for the night after the Thanksgiving Feast!